Thursday, August 11, 2011

Life and Death

I've lost 2 relatives this year. First, my mom's brother died on Memorial Day. Then my grandfather passed away this week. My Uncle Wilson was 85 years old, and my grandfather would have been 99 in December. My husband's great aunt also passed away this week. She was also 98 years old. I'm so thankful that each of them lived such long full lives, but it's got me thinking. Why is it some people live such long lives, while others are taken from us far too soon? Life is definitely a mystery that way. No one knows how much time we have here on earth. You hear songs about live like you're dying and sayings like live each day as if it were your last, but how many of us really live that way? If I knew today was my last day would I really be typing this entry right now? Maybe. I probably would post something for my family to remember me by. I'd thank the people who loved me and stood by me. I'd tell the people I loved that I loved them. Maybe even throw in a few stories for people to remember. That's brings me to something else I've been thinking. If I died right now, exactly how would people remember me? Would I be remembered as a brat, or an even worse b-word? Would people remember me as sweet and quiet, or rude and loud? I think there are so many sides to people and maybe we only share certain sides to certain people. But doesn't everyone deserve your best side all the time? Wouldn't it be horrible to be nasty to someone then that is the last time they see you and ultimately how they remember you? So, not only should you live each day as if it were your last, but you should also live your life the way you want to be remembered for. I guess there's nothing like death to put life in prospective. Off to make each day count and 1) live today like it's my last and 2) live the life I want to be remembered for. By the way, if you're reading this post then chances are we know each other and hopefully like each other, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "I love you, and I appreciate you for taking the time to read this post".

Photo: taken 12/19/2010. 4 generations of LeBlanc men. My grandfather is 2nd from left. It was his 98th birthday, and my nephew Luke's 2nd birthday.

No comments: